Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

What is the impact of changing the cam ageing time of a Catalyst switch?

I want to change the cam ageing time on my switches to 30 minutes or more for management purposes (I need to monitor where devices are in the network, but not all devices are actively communicating all of the time). What is the potential impact of changing the timers?

Thanks

2 REPLIES

Re: What is the impact of changing the cam ageing time of a Cata

The cam agingtime defines the number of seconds a CAM entry is kept in the CAM table before it is deleted. If you have a large network, the CAM table will grow, because entries are kept in memory longer. SpanningTree convergence will also be slower. Because the CAM entry keeps pointing in the wrong direction.

for extra reading:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094797.shtml

hope this helpes

Pim Sijnja

Purple

Re: What is the impact of changing the cam ageing time of a Cata

On the flip side there will be less broadcasting going on if the cam timers are longer , unless your network is huge it's pretty hard to fill the cam tables in todays switches . i really don't think there would be any adverse effect other than if people move around within the same vlan frequently then they aren't going to get a connection if the cam table hasn't timed out .

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content