Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

What is the max number of secondary interfaces on routers & switches?

What is the maximun number of secondary interfaces on routers & switches? What are the problems with having more than one?

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: What is the max number of secondary interfaces on routers &

From what I know, there is no hard limit on the number of secondary addresses on an interface other than RAM used and NVRAM space for the router's config.

Are there any known issues when using multiple secondary interfaces such as: load balancing, routing inconsistancies, etc.?

Bronze

I'm not aware of any issues that don't have workarounds when using secondary addresses. That is not to say there aren't any. I suggest looking on on Cisco and comp.dcom.sys.cisco for any references on specific concerns you have about a particular technology or IOS feature and its compatibility with secondary addresses.

HTH

Views
Helpful
Replies