Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

what is the maximum loss allowed for a 1000base LX\LH GBIC?

I AM RUNNING ABOUT 4800 FEET FROM MY 3508 TO A 3548 USING 1000BASE LX/LH SINGLE MODE FIBER. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE MAX LOSS IN Db WOULD BE, AS I AM GETTING A LINK LIGHT, ONLY TO LOSE IT IF THE FIBER JUMPER IS MOVED. I HAVE CHANGED THE JUMPER WITH A KNOWN GOOD ONE, AND STILL SEE THIS PROBLEM. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE ACCEPTABLE RANGE OF LOSS IN Db TO MAINTAIN A GOOD CONNECTION IS.

1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: what is the maximum loss allowed for a 1000base LX\LH GBIC?

The 1000BASE-LX/LH (long wavelength/long haul) GBIC interfaces fully comply with the IEEE 802.3z 1000BASE-LX standard. However, their higher optical quality allows them to reach 10 km over single-mode fiber (SMF) versus the 3.1 miles (5 km) specified in the standard.

Transmitter output power

(minimum/maximum)-3/-9.5 dBm

Receiver maximum input power

-3 dBm

Receiver sensitivity

-19 dBm

Channel insertion loss

50 micron MMF 4.4 dB

62.5 micron MMF 6 dB

9 micron SMF 6.5 dB

When using an LX/LH GBIC with a 62.5-micron diameter MMF, you must install a mode-conditioning patch cord (CAB-GELX-625 or equivalent) between the GBIC and the MMF cable on both the transmit and receive ends of the link in the following situations:

1.Less than 328 feet (100 meters). When illuminating short lengths of MMF with an LX/LH GBIC, the mode-conditioning patch cord reduces the amount of optical power coupled into the MMF. Excessive power can saturate the LX/LH receiver causing an elevated bit error rate (BER).

2.Greater than 984 feet (300 meters). When illuminating long lengths of MMF with an LX/LH GBIC, the mode-conditioning patch cord offsets the laser light to reduce the possibility of differential mode delay.

Views
Helpful
Replies