cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what's the difference between catalyst6500 and cisco router 7600?

david.xu
Level 1
Level 1

Now catalyst 6500 converge the 7600 module and even has the flex wan interface, and router 7600 also converge the cat6500 module,superengine module and fabric switch as well.

So now they looks very smilliar ,even same. I am so confused what's the difference between them , also what's the difference between these kind of routing switch and switched router now?

If I am going deploy a 10G MAN , which one is more suitable?

Is there any document really explain it deeply?

Thanks,

david

7 Replies 7

steinar.haug
Level 1
Level 1

The difference is rather simple: OSM. A 7600 is a 6500 with SUP2/MSFC2/PFC2 and at least one OSM. The rest is

marketing.

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

cat65k will only handle up to an oc-3 linecard in the flexwan module. the 7600

will go higher. What technologies are you hooking up on your 10 gig ? DWDM ?

It will be 10Giga ethernet, so is there any difference to use 7600 and 6500?

from that perspective, no. We use both, with any high speed wan stuff going on the 7606's and lan stuff on the 65's just keep the caveat about flexwans in mind.

Thanks,

david

I haven't seen anything about differences in the FlexWAN. Do you

have a reference for this claim?

I digged into the modules of cat6500, I found the cat6500 also support oc48.The only difference between cat6500 and router7600 on modules is 7600 support channelized OC module, the cat6500 don't, it only support POS OC module.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: