Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

what should the switch do when it receives multicast stream

if all of the receivers is disappear,what does the switch do to deal with the multicast stream?it may have had a mrouter,

4 REPLIES

Re: what should the switch do when it receives multicast stream

Hi Friend,

Switch will broadcast the multicast stream.

If you have the router with IGMP running and switch which supports CGMP or IGMP snooping then it will send the multicast stream to specific ports or machines who have joined that multicast group.

HTH

Ankur

if no one join the group,the switch will flood the traffic?maybe the switch should block this unwanted traffic,any clue?

Hi Friend,

If no one joins the group then they will not receive any multicast frame. Only when they join the group by sending IGMP packets then only multicats streams are send to them but the catch here is if you do not enable CGMP on the switch or say IGMP snooping and 2 machines joines the group sending the IGMP packet the multicast stream will be broadcast to everybody in the switch.

So any one join the group from the switch it will be broadcast but no one join from the switch no one will receive any multicast frame.

So if you want someone to join also enable CGMp on the switch.

Anyone out here in Forum if good in multicast please correct me if I am wrong.

HTH

Ankur

i dont' think so,the layer 2 switch would flood the multicast if the switch didn't get any join message of any group,if any one join,the forwarding table will estabilish,

confusing.....

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content