Views
Helpful
Replies

What to Use - Ethereal Filter or Another Program to Capture IP Conversation

slstrunk
Level 1
Level 1

Good day Everyone,

Using Ethereal (packet sniffer) Version 0.10.14 and it works great. However there are times when I just want traffic info between servers & clients ("top talkers"). Find the Conversations (copy to clipboard) from the Statistics menu most applicable in this situation.

Want to monitor for approx. 24 hours, but as you know - you can easily generate ~ 200 MB file in 15 minutes. Add the time to load the file into Ethereal and generate the conversations, and I realize that I'm probably taking the wrong approach.

Am working with devices on the same subnet, so they're either connected to the same switch, or a downstream switch. They are Cisco switches, but I thought NetFlow only worked with routers.

So, what am I missing? Is there a way to generate a Conversations .csv file? Or should I be using a different program? Thanks in advance for your help!

2 Replies 2

zapanta.f
Level 1
Level 1

Foundstone or Packet Sniffer has some useful tools you can use. Also, Ethereal is widely used.

rduke
Level 1
Level 1

The Agilent J6800 series analyzers are nice but not cheap. I had a demo copy of the software version and it can walk circles around what you can do with ethereal. You can drill down on conversations between nodes of interest very quickly and very easily. Sometimes the free tools work but are not always the best thing available.

R Duke