cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

when should use mvr and when should use igmp snooping?

teru-lei
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

When seeing the doc for mvr, I think that it works the same function of igmp snooping and I don't know what difference between mvr and igmp snooping in function. Can anybody explain when should I use mvr and when should I use igmp snooping?

Thank You!

Best Regards

Teru Lei

1 Reply 1

r-simpson
Level 3
Level 3

MVR and IGMP snooping both are used for security purposes. There is not much differences between the two.In fact ,When operating in MVR dynamic mode, the switch performs standard IGMP snooping. IGMP information packets are sent to the switch CPU, but multicast data packets are not sent to the CPU. Dynamic mode allows the multicast router to run normally because the switch sends the IGMP join messages to the router, and the router forwards multicast streams for a particular group to an interface only if it has received a join message from the interface for the group. Receiver ports are treated as members of the multicast VLAN for MVR multicast control and data traffic. IGMP reports for MVR groups are sent out source ports in the multicast VLAN.

Layer 2 switches can use IGMP snooping to constrain the flooding of multicast traffic by dynamically configuring Layer 2 interfaces so that multicast traffic is forwarded to only those interfaces associated with IP multicast devices.Multicast VLAN Registration (MVR) is designed for applications using wide-scale deployment of multicast traffic across an Ethernet ring-based service provider network (for example, the broadcast of multiple television channels over a service-provider network). MVR allows a subscriber on a port to subscribe and unsubscribe to a multicast stream on the network-wide multicast VLAN. It allows the single multicast VLAN to be shared in the network while subscribers remain in separate VLANs. MVR provides the ability to continuously send multicast streams in the multicast VLAN, but to isolate the streams from the subscriber VLANs for bandwidth and security reasons.

A useful document can be found at :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007f388.html