Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

When to use FR static map in ospf?

I wan puzzled by the the question that when I must to use 'frame-rely map ip x.x.x.x dlci broadcast' command.

Dose reverse-arp tell me the dynamic mapping if I use partion mesh FR network and if I close reverse-arp,will I must set static map for each remote ospf router not directly connected? (Does it ralated to the 'ip ospf network'command?)

Thanks

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
2 REPLIES
Gold

Re: When to use FR static map in ospf?

Typically, you only use the frame relay map command when you are configuring a multipoint frame realy interfaces. This tells the router which dlci to map to which remote ip address on what appears to be a broadcast interface (from the hub router's perspective). I've never seen aframe multipoint work with arp or reverse arp (again, the hub router thinks it's a broadcast segment, but each spoke thinks it's a point-to-point).

This doesn't relate to the ospf network command in any way. There are a number of ways you can run ospf over a frame multipoint network:

-- Create point-to-point subinterfaces, which will use more ip address space, but will make fast don detection possible, and make troubleshooting easier.

-- Use a single multipoint interface with the ip ospf network-type point-to-multipoint, which is simple to configure, and reduces the ip address space outlay, but it injects a lot of /32's into your ospf tables, which can impact convergence, etc.

-- Use a single multipoint interface with the ip ospf network-type broadcast command. Set each remote with an ospfpriority of 0, so only the hub can become the dr.

-- Use a single multipoint interface with the ip ospf network-type nonbroadcast, and then configure each remote router as a neighbor manually.

Which one of these you use is going to depend on which downside you like the best. :-)

Russ.W

Re: When to use FR static map in ospf?

Can I think that the frame-relay inverse-arp can get the DLCI-IP mapping cross a hub ?(no vc directly connect btw spokens)

So if I stop the FR inverse-arp,must I indicate hub and all other spokens at the sopken router? )

such as:

spoken1(config-if)#frame-relay map ip hub 100 broadcast

spoken1(config-if)#frame-relay map ip spoken2 100 broadcast

spoken1(config-if)#frame-relay map ip spoken3 100 broadcast

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.