cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where is the best place to end VLAN?

ttl-systems
Level 1
Level 1

I was just wondering should I end my VLANs on my 3560 switches or should I end them to the core?

Will the speed be affected much if the I end VLANs on 3560 and the traffic would then be routed to core (static routes) instead of normal switching.

I don't have any access to core so it would be better for me to end the VLANs to 3560 switches so I'd have better control over them.

4 Replies 4

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

nothing like that the performance will go bad when you create vlan's in 3560 ur edge switch, only the inter vlan processing will be done in that, rest the core switch will take care as all the switches are been terminated in the core.by making 3560 as a vlan server, your core switch will be a vlan client & performance wise nothing will affect.

what is your core switch model?

hope this helps.

rate this post.

Hmm. I didn't really understand your answer. VTP won't be on, so every device will be in VTP transparent mode. Core is 6500

sorry abt the previous reply, instead of mentioning it as performance won't go bad", i hav mentioned it as "performance will go bad". well as mentioned in your post, performance & speed WILL NOT AFFECT.

ilya.varlashkin
Level 3
Level 3

You should terminate VLAN's at the point where they logically converge. For example, if Switch_Edge_1 has VLAN 10 and VLAN 20, but your core doesn't have any other switches with same VLAN 10 and VLAN 20, then it makes no sense to move inter-VLAN routing between VLAN 10 & 20 to the core. You could even aggregate subnets of 10 & 20 before annoucing them to the core since they'd share same path to from core towards your edge switch anyway. On the other hand if there is also second Switch_Edge_2 which also have VLAN 10 & 20, then routing between these VLAN naturally should be done at the core because that's where they converge.