cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which Ethernet Interface Module to buy?

r-tyrell
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to decide between the WS-X6148-GE-TX and the WS-X6548-GE-TX 48 port 10/100/1000 Ethernet modules for our 6513. We do have the Switch Fabric Module. Has anyone had experience with the WS-X6148-GE-TX? Is it worth the extra money to buy the WS-X6548-GE-TX? I work in a large College Campus, but the need for the fabric enabled cards seem overkill. This would be used for a server farm. Our 6513 currently runs around 0-1 percent so the SUP needs some work to do anyway.

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

ERIK LAWAETZ
Level 1
Level 1

The big difference between the two cards is, that the 6148 uses "classic" switching, which means it attaches to the shared bus, which max'es out at 32Gbps for the whole box. Cisco recommends these cards for use in wiring closets.

The 6548 uses "CEF265" switching and attaches to the Switch Fabric Module (SFM), and you gain the dedicated 8Gbps channel to the SFM.

As such you have a 6:1 overbooking on each card.

Cisco recommends this card for "Midrange Density for Core and Distribution".

Since you have the SFM already I'd definately go for the 6548 card.

You should also beware of the limitations in performance when mixing "classic" and other cards in the same box.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/cc/pd/si/casi/ca6000/prodlit/c2ext_qp.htm

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: