Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which GBIC should I purchase?

I am debating if I should buy the WS-3500-XL or WS-G5484 module to add to my switches. I have 2948G-L3 and 2948G type switches. I am currently using loop back CAT5 cords and have learned the GBIC modules would improve my network responsiveness...

I would prefer the WS-3500, but am not clear on the difference between the two? Also I will need to install 2 GBICs to the switches on the DATA Room end and the DATA Closet end. The DATA Room and Closet will be tied together with fiber.

Please advise.

3 REPLIES

Re: Which GBIC should I purchase?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps872/products_data_sheet09186a00800913cd.html

Above is a link to what I think you are looking for. I believe it IS compatible with the 2900XL.

-Brandon

hi,

first you need to choose between single mode and multi mode (depending on tyhe kind of fiber installed in your infrastructure).

Then you have the choice of ws-g5484 (for multi mode fiber) or ws-g5486 (for single mode fiber) GBics. They will work with any switches with a gbic port.

The ws-3500 you are talking about is for copper gigastacking, and not fiber.

Hope this helps,

/Mathieu

Mathieu, thank you very much for clearing this up... Makes sense and provides me with some direction! Thank you and Happy Holidays!! Cassandra

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content