Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Which interfaces' IP address is chosen to manage a L2 Switch...etc.,

Hi all

When I have to manage the below mentioned devices, IP address of which interface of each device would have to be chosen to manage each of them ?

Layer 2 Switch

Layer 3 Switch (Multilayer Switch)

Router

And how do I assign the IP addresses to such interfaces if the interfaces are not the general ones like Serial or Ethernet ?

Particularly, if I would like to manage a router from a remote WAN location, which interface's IP should I use (assuming that the ehternet is connected to the LAN and Serial is connected to the WAN) ?

4 REPLIES

Re: Which interfaces' IP address is chosen to manage a L2 Switch

hi vijay

for managing the L2 switch u need to create a local management interface in the switch itself.u can assign an ip add to that interface and manage u r switch.the sample config will be like this ..

interface VLAN1

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

for routers if u r inside the LAN u can chek out from the eth port ,or if ur at the other end(WAN port)u can manage thru u r serial port.

if u want to monitor the traffic u can some use mrtg S/W respective of the box where u r installing the mrtg s/w.best bet is perl...

regds

prem

Hi Prem

How is it done in a Layer 3 switch like Catalyst 3550 and in a set commands based switch like Cisco 5005 ?

Thanks and regards

Vijay

Cisco Employee

The following Tech Tip should help

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/8.html

Views
Helpful
Replies