Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Which is best way to configure 2 vlans or bigger subnet?

I have cluster with 256 compute nodes (SERVERS).

I would like to hear your advice regarding the 256 nodes cluster:

There are two options for the network address space

Option 1

Assign two subnets with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 to cover all 256 servers, Cisco switch 6509-E will be the router between the two subnets.

Option2

Assign a big subnet with subnet mask 255.255.254.0 to cover all 256 servers.

please give your selcetion (option 1 OR option 2) or give your option if its there. and the reason why??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Which is best way to configure 2 vlans or bigger subnet?

Sorry for the confusion. I think option 1 (2 subnets) is the best option. Try to eliminate routing between the 2 vlans to a minimum by grouping devices accordingly. Keep 80% of the traffic local (to the vlan) and switch, if possible, while routing 20% of the traffic. This is the 80-20 rule.

5 REPLIES

I would suggest to go for Option 2 just becuase of the Following features:

1 Segregating your broadcast domian will help you in better proformance in case of boradcast on the network.

2. With different Vlans you have another level of security.

3. Less number of resources consumed in terms of memory and CPU processes on your servers in case of broadcast.

Rest it depends on your N/W design and future growth. If you can set the Vlans its good to go with that, or use a single subnet.

regards,

-amit singh

Thanks for your reply

You select option 2 and your reasons it's seem to be answer to select option one.

Which option is your selection?

I'm sure amit meant option 1. I would agree that that is the best option for the reason amit stated. Keep the devices that interact the most in their respective vlans to minimize routing. 80-20 rule.

Thanks Toddwarren

But you again confuse me. You agree with option one and you give good reason to go with option 2 (which is a big subnet one vlan).

Sorry for the confusion. I think option 1 (2 subnets) is the best option. Try to eliminate routing between the 2 vlans to a minimum by grouping devices accordingly. Keep 80% of the traffic local (to the vlan) and switch, if possible, while routing 20% of the traffic. This is the 80-20 rule.

Views
Helpful
Replies