cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which router for 25 meg throughput

sjonessha
Level 1
Level 1

I have point to point wirless link to a client that is around 25 meg and using a T-1 at the client a backup. I need a router that can handle 25 megs and automatically failover to the T-1 if the link goes down. Will a 2621 have enough horsepower?

12 Replies 12

jcbuilder
Level 1
Level 1

Could be good idea upgrade you router by 3700 (C3745-IS-M). Switch to debug mode when the link gose down.

I noticed on another post "1720 total throughput" that the table shows about 12megs for a 2621. My wireless is an eathernet interface, will I get more than that for the 25meg wireless link and use the wic t-1 for failover?

Hi,

You will not be able to get 25Mbps out of a 2621. You really need to move to a bigger platform if you want 25Mbps.

Paresh

What is a good cisco router to use? Cannot afford new.

The 2691 or the 3640 would do the job for you.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

The problem with those platforms is that if you start turning on a few features you'll never get that kind of throughput. I've had some bad experiences with the 2600 series, although not specifically the 2691, in the past. I just had an SE tell me that I should get approximately 40mbps on our new 2851's with a compliment of features turned on; netflow, acl's, QoS, etc. So I would take that into consideration.

If you are talking about a brigde to bridge wireless link why not put a layer 3 switch interface behind the bridges, if you have them available, on each side and let a lower end router take care of the T1 backup?

Forgive my networking knowledge but how would the switches do this? I am going to need some switches. Would the 2960 or 2950EI do this?

You can go for 1841 router and that will solve the purpose for you.

regards,

-amit singh

Interesting. I checked out the 1841. It comes with 2 10/100 Lan ports. Can I plug my wireless bridge into one of the Lan ports and the T-1 into the Wan? Is the Lan port configurable/routable for failover?

Interesting. I checked out the 1841. It comes with 2 10/100 Lan ports. Can I plug my wireless bridge into one of the Lan ports and the T-1 into the Wan? Is the Lan port configurable/routable for failover?

You would create a layer 3 interface on the switch, this is no different than an ethernet port on a router. I believe you would need a 3550/3560 minimum.

switch<--->bridge )))) ((((( bridge<--->switch

10.1.1.1 /30 10.1.1.2 /30