Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Which router for 25 meg throughput

I have point to point wirless link to a client that is around 25 meg and using a T-1 at the client a backup. I need a router that can handle 25 megs and automatically failover to the T-1 if the link goes down. Will a 2621 have enough horsepower?

12 REPLIES

Re: Which router for 25 meg throughput

Could be good idea upgrade you router by 3700 (C3745-IS-M). Switch to debug mode when the link gose down.

I noticed on another post "1720 total throughput" that the table shows about 12megs for a 2621. My wireless is an eathernet interface, will I get more than that for the 25meg wireless link and use the wic t-1 for failover?

Purple

Hi,

You will not be able to get 25Mbps out of a 2621. You really need to move to a bigger platform if you want 25Mbps.

Paresh

What is a good cisco router to use? Cannot afford new.

Purple

The 2691 or the 3640 would do the job for you.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

The problem with those platforms is that if you start turning on a few features you'll never get that kind of throughput. I've had some bad experiences with the 2600 series, although not specifically the 2691, in the past. I just had an SE tell me that I should get approximately 40mbps on our new 2851's with a compliment of features turned on; netflow, acl's, QoS, etc. So I would take that into consideration.

If you are talking about a brigde to bridge wireless link why not put a layer 3 switch interface behind the bridges, if you have them available, on each side and let a lower end router take care of the T1 backup?

Forgive my networking knowledge but how would the switches do this? I am going to need some switches. Would the 2960 or 2950EI do this?

You can go for 1841 router and that will solve the purpose for you.

regards,

-amit singh

Interesting. I checked out the 1841. It comes with 2 10/100 Lan ports. Can I plug my wireless bridge into one of the Lan ports and the T-1 into the Wan? Is the Lan port configurable/routable for failover?

Interesting. I checked out the 1841. It comes with 2 10/100 Lan ports. Can I plug my wireless bridge into one of the Lan ports and the T-1 into the Wan? Is the Lan port configurable/routable for failover?

You would create a layer 3 interface on the switch, this is no different than an ethernet port on a router. I believe you would need a 3550/3560 minimum.

switch<--->bridge )))) ((((( bridge<--->switch

10.1.1.1 /30 10.1.1.2 /30

Views
Helpful
Replies