cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which routing protocol?

darylanderson
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for routing protocol suggestion.

My network currently has two routers, we'll call them Router A and Router B for the moment. Router A is the default gateway for traffic to the internet with Router B being the backup gateway.

The connection that I am concerned with is the connection to a remote office. Occasionaly, the latency for the connection between the default Gateway and the remote office will jump to about 5 times the usual. However, the backup router's latency will still remain as normal. Both routers' connections are being routed through IP Tunnels. I want to use a routing protocol, on Router A, which will recognise the difference in latency and redirect traffic through the Router B tunnel.

Therefore, I am asking for advice as to which routing protocol I can use that will use latency as a metric as opposed to the current metric of hop count, because being routed through a tunnel, the hop count is only 1 hop.

Hopefully I have explained my query in a manner that is understandable.

thanks in advance for any advice.

15 Replies 15

It wouldn't help, since the protocols don't support routing based on latency. What you might want to look at is optimized edge routing, OER, an upcoming feature in IOS. I'm also going to talk to the EIGRP developers to see if we can get this going as something to talk about again.

Russ.W