cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why VTP will auto update when I not configured it?

janusng2000
Level 1
Level 1

That is one Cisco 4950 switch configured with VTP domain, but when I connect with new CIsco switch with the network, the new switch will learn VTP from the 4950 switch. The question here, I not configured any domain or VTP password on the new switch but why will still update the VTP from the 2950 switch?

The problem will coz my network congested when VTP kept on broadcasting?

3 Replies 3

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Can u check weather the port u r using to connect this switch is that a trunk port and check weather its VTP mode is client or what.the best practice to put a new switch in the network is changed it to transparent mode.

Thanks

Mahmood

You are right, the port using trunk. Even I change to transparent mode but the VTP will still update.

I can only change to all switches with different domain name or else my network will congested due to VTP broadcasting.

Note: All Cisco floor switches will connected back to main Nortel core switch with trunk mode, but only one Cisco floor switch with VTP configured but when connect this VTP switch 2950 to the network, all the floor switches will learn the VTP automatic, but those floor switches not even configured any VTP domain and password.

HI

If u change to tranparent mode the switch will ignore the VTP updates.

Thanks

Mahmood