cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wierd problem , any suggestions?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We have an old device that you can put a ip address and mask but no default gateway . The problem is that you cannot ping or get to the device from another subnet and this is verified by a sniffer which says all it's replies are being sent to broadcast , the router is a 5500 with an RSM running 12.0.18 . The wierd thing if you take this device and put it on another subnet and router (old 4500 running 11.0 code it appears to work ok and you can get to it from other subnets , why would this be ? Is there some difference the way 11.0 code handles broadcasts versus 12.0 code ? Is there something I can configure to get around this problem when you cannot configure a default gateway on the device ?

5 Replies 5

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

It may be using ip redirects , do a sh ip redirects see what it shows .

The router may also be using arp proxy. Also confirm from rhe sniffer whether the broadcast is an all zeros or all ones broadcasts.

Nope not doing redirects on either router . It is an all 1's broadcast . I have look at both routers they appear to be configured the same . Definetly strange , any other ideas , I'm not sure where to look next.

Would the fact that the subnet that is not working has decnet configured on the interface and the subnet that does work does not have any bearing on this , i know decnet modifies the router mac when configured .

I came across sometinh similar, but I was able to add a static route to get this working.

You can try to add a static route into that old kind device. You can add x.x.x.x mask x.x.x.x ip address of gateway. This should work

Good Luck

Shaheen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: