Views
Helpful
Replies

Win NT Print Server

dhcchan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I got a problem in a network relating to Win NT 4.0 printing. The Win NT 4.0 is on a different subnet from those printers. User complain that print queue get stuck, they need to restart the Win NT 4.0 so that the print queue can resume normal. They said that this problem did not happen when those printers and Win NT are placed in the same subnet.

Do u have any idea in fixing this problem? Is there any explicit configuration for this situation?

many thanks

David

3 Replies 3

sgremore
Level 1
Level 1

Try adding static IPs for the NT boxes in WINS or host files.

Hi there,

I got two Win NT 4.0 servers act as two WINS server and print servers, which control about 10 printers. These two Win NT servers are placed in the same subnet, while all the printers are placed in the different subnets. Client PC range from win 98 and 2000 suffer from intermittent print queue get stuck. Uer need to restart the corresponding Win NT 4.0 server in order to get print service resume normal. May I ask what is the method to solve this problem?

thanks a lot

David

Which subnet are the client PCs in? The one with the print servers or the one with the printers? Are all the print queues getting stuck or just a couple of them? Are the print queues that are getting stuck all on the same print server? How are the printers connected to the WinNT print servers (via IP, IPX, etc)?

Some useful MS articiles on stuck print queues:

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 104817

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 246462

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: