Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Windows2000 IAS (Radius Server)

I want to use windows 2000 server as an radius server with cat4500 switch but authentication cant be done. Are there anyone use w2000 as radius server, and how?

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Windows2000 IAS (Radius Server)

What is the version of OS that you are running on the switch? Some older versions do not have support for Radius. Assuming that you are running CatOS, 8.1 supports radius configuration. Here's the link to the command reference.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/8_1/config/authent.htm#1020746

You can check the documentation link if the command is supported in the version that you are running on the switch.

Re: Windows2000 IAS (Radius Server)

Hi,

I don't know about running radius on WIN2000 but I use the IOS commands for this often. We don't user Radius since it sends traffic over UDP and only encrypts the user password (header and name are plain text). I recommend using TACACS+ as it is considered more secure.

AAA new-model

AAA authentication login default radius enable

(keep enable on end so you don't lock yourself out)

Radius-server host 10.0.0.1

Radius-server key "string"

R/S

Dave

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.