I am at the point of begging for ideas to try on the issue that I am faced with right now. The situation that I have is I am trying to name resolve from a remote WAN to our main network via C2611 router. The router is fully configured, routes are programmed in our Enterasys Fast Ethernet Switch SSR, a scope was built in the WINS/ DHCP Server, and I have set ip helper-address to our WINS server in the remote router. We do not have a DNS server, and we do not have a BDC configured on the remote segment. The remote segment is in a different subnet but all routes are programmed to accomodate that. I have done a tracert on the remote segment tracing to our WINS server and it is going out fine. A BDC on the remote side is an option but it is also not required from what I have been told.
I have ran out of ideas, and looking for more through this forum. Has anyone out there ever experienced this before and if so what did you do to fix the problem? Any ideas will be gladly appreciated. This isn't a big network on the remote end. We will only have about 5 clients on the network to begin with, but we will have 5 IP phones on the remote end as well.
Thanks in advance,
i don't know whether this will work or if you allready have this programmed, i am presuming your clients have static ip addresses (or even if they don't) try putting in the wins server ip address in the clients network config
hope this helps
Yes, the clients have static IP address, and I have the WINS server IP programmed, and that doesn't seem to do anything. All this time I can see the Dorothy domain, and I can see myself in the dorothy domain, but I can't browse the network or see anyone else in the network.
Thanks for the suggestion.
As you mention BDC I guess you're server is NT4 PDC?
Try adding an entry for the WINS server in the LMHOST file of each client.
If the server is Win 2K, use Active directory to add the computer account to the server with, as already suggested, a static address for the clients. This avoids having to configure each client manually. Not sure how it would work with DHCP, but I'm sure someone here can square that away.
Yes, the server is a NT4. I tried the LMHosts and it isn't working or I am not using the correct syntax. Please advise.
I found this format on MS technet. I am running a W2K Operating System on the computer on the remote end, and trying to name resolve to a WINS server on the local end.
172.19.205.45 MALACHI #PRE #DOM:DOROTHY-NAME
172.19.205.45 #DOROTHY-NAME \0x1b" #PRE
I have 20 characters between the " " on the second line of data. Is the spacing critical for the other charaters outside of the quotation marks?
Thanks in advance,
Update on what I have done if anyone else has any ideas.
I successfully added the LMHOSTS pointing to the WINS server. I went to a cmd line, winnt, ran nbtstat -R, and then ran nbtstat -c and I could see the information that I added. I then did a reboot of my machine, but I still can't name resolve to the WINS server.
Any other ideas on the name resolving through WINS issue from a remote host on a different subnet?
Look at the WINS database.
I suggest that you delete the client record from the wins database, reboots the client and checks if the client registers again. Also check the server event log.
If the client is Windows 2000, it tries DNS for 30 seconds first, before trying wins.
Then you can use this document for troubleshooting with a sniffer:
I have a even stranger problem , with a very similar network design. The ip routing works fine and the server names are resolved using wins. The W2K and NT4 clients can connect to almost all shares, but not \\PDC\NETLOGON or \\BDC\NETLOGON. The computers can even leave and re-join the domain without problems.
If you found out anything that may affect my problem, too, I will be thankful to hear about it.