Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WS-2924-XL-EN switch has VLANs other than 1 in ADMIN SHUTDOWN STATE

I have configured this on a 2900XL before and I did not have any problem. Today I went to configure a 2900XL. I went into VLAN DATABASE and said

vlan 40 name building4

and then exit.

I went to config terminal and configured:

interface fa0/24

switchport access vlan 40

switchport mode access

no shut

int vlan40

no shut

end

Now when I do show run it shows a shutdown statement under VLAN 40 and

show int vlan 40 shows that it is administratively down.

What am I doing wrong?

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: WS-2924-XL-EN switch has VLANs other than 1 in ADMIN SHUTDOW

Probably there is another management vlan configured on that switch. These are layer 2 switches that can only have a single management vlan. If you need the vlan 40 to be the management vlan shutdown the other vlan and then try doing a no shut on the vlan40. You might also be required to enter the command 'management' under vlan 40 to make it operational.

Purple

Re: WS-2924-XL-EN switch has VLANs other than 1 in ADMIN SHUTDOW

Remember this is a layer 2 switch . You can only have one layer 3 SVI active at one time and it will shutdown all others . The ip is to manage the switch only and has no routing function . If you want to use vlan 40 as the management vlan then you have to manually shutdown vlan 1 or whatever vlan is currently up and then "no shut" vlan 40 . Obviously then your ip addressing and default gateway would have to be in the correct subnet of the layer 3 router supporting this switch.

Views
Helpful
Replies