jjcarranza
Level 1
Level 1

What is the difference??

7 Replies 7

rfroom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

2950 is newer, faster and has more features. The only downside is the 2950 does not support ISL and only supports dot1q trunking.

thanks Richard.

But the 2950 IOS is full of bugs.

Regards,

Milan

Milan

If you run into any issues, please open a TAC case and if it's a software issue, TAC can file a bug and have it fixed

Regards,

-Prashanth

What about CSCdw56650 which is described in releasenotes since March but still not fixed (even not visible on TAC Bug Toolkit)?

If I look to the releasenotes and see the long and increasing list of bugs with "no workaround" my feeling of Cat2950 is simple: this product has been released without proper testing!

Regards,

Milan

It is has been opened since march because the problem was first reported before ACLs were supported. The official due date for a release with this fix is late in software version 12.1.11.EA1. There is a typographical error in the bug that is preventing in from being seen on CCO, you should be able to view it in a couple of day.

As new features get added, they may not support every variant as you are use to in IOS. Switches forward traffic in hardware unlike IOS routers that do it in software. A lot bugs are just features like ACLs that do not support different masking, certain keywords. etc.

Products do not get released with have known high priority or network impacting bugs. Some bugs do make it through testing without being discovered and some low priority ones do not get fixed in time for release, but every effort is made to minimize the number of bugs found in the field and maximize the number of bugs fixed before release.

I know for a fact, that the 2950 was extensive tested in the lab, internally and in the field with select customers before orderability.

What do you mean by "A lot bugs are just features like ACLs that do not support different masking"?

If the ACL doesn't support different masks then it's unusable.

If "the 2950 was extensive tested in the lab, internally and in the field with select customers before orderability" why my 2950 was freezing with the IOS it came with and required immediate upgrade?

Regards,

Milan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: