Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WS-C2950G-48-EI

Hello all,

The following is our network setup

comp1----switch----BBSM (SERVER)----ROUTER

We are not able ping the computer (comp1) from router where as we can ping the router from comp1...and we have checked everything like firewall is not enabled in comp1 and access-list ICMP has not been configured in router. Therefore, if you guys could tell me what next to be down to diagnose the problem.

Your true assistance will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Azmath Khan.

2 REPLIES

Re: WS-C2950G-48-EI

Anybody is there to help me out...please...

Re: WS-C2950G-48-EI

First, make sure that you are pinging the ip address of the router from copm1 and that the ip address you are pinging from router to comp1 is truly the ip address of the comp1. ICMP is two way, if comp1 is able to ping the router, then router should be able to ping the comp1, period.

Second, compare the arp entry on comp1 for the ip address of the router. Look at the router's mac-address, make sure that it's interface that you are tyring to ping. also, this is assuming that the comp1 ip is in the same subnet as the router ip that you are trying to ping, otherwise, you will not an arp entry in the comp1 for that router (I can explain arp but it would be lenghty, for now just make sure that the comp1 and router are in the same subnet).

If you are able to ping the (supposedly) ip of the router from the pc but you are not aboe to ping the pc from the router, most likely the ip you are able to ping from the pc is not the router or someone else is responding. This would explain why from router you are not able to ping the pc. If all else fails, get a sniffer trace.

Please rate helpful posts.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content