Cisco Support Community
Community Member

WS-X6548-GE-TX to backplane performance

I'm curious about the blade-to-backplane performance of the new 48 port 10/100/1000 blades for the Cat6500 switches. According to the spec sheets, they connect to the backplane in the same way the other 6500 blades do (duh).

However, I've heard some talk suggesting these blades are technically essentially the same as the 48 port Cat4500 blades, and thus internally limited to 6 Gbps, like the 4500.

Does anyone have more information on this?

Community Member

Re: WS-X6548-GE-TX to backplane performance

The conection to the switch fabric is 8 Mbps - like the other WS-X65xx Cat 6500 modules. See page 9 of the following URL

Community Member

Re: WS-X6548-GE-TX to backplane performance

I know, like I said, the spec sheets state it connects the same way the other blades do. These figures can be interpreted in two ways: first, it could just be the interface between the blade and the switch fabric/bus, which in that case would also explain why it's similar in all WS-X65xx modules. Design limitations could make actual performance much lower. Second, it's the actual performance the module is capable of if pushed to the max.

The rumours I've heard would point to the 1st interpretation. Which would be, if true, somewhat disappointing.

CreatePlease to create content