cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

XRN Technology in 3COM

mohashim
Level 1
Level 1

In this case did Cisco Catalyst 6500+MSFC+PFC2 can do distributed links aggregation between 2 different Cat6 at core similer as XRN technology.

4 Replies 4

pgionas
Level 1
Level 1

Only Link Agg across multiple modules. I believe Nortel can do across switches with SMLT. I have tested Cisco switches with 3Com XRN (DLA) and they work fine using manual trunks.

PG

What we would like to implement two core Cisco Cat6 switches aggregation and load share the traffic similar to XRN/SMLT technology.Any suggestion.

This feature only exists at Nortel and 3Com. Its proprietary.

To do this the switches need a change in the spanning tree functionality. This is not part of the IEEE standard. So it depends on the vendors if this feature is supported. Cisco does not have this feature.

No possibility to do that on layer 2 with Spanning Tree enabled.

Regards

Stefan

I know SMLT does not support STP within the SMLT group. XRN however, does support STP and RSTP so you can connect to it. The implementation that they require here though is for point to multipoint trunking. You can do it with both vendors implementations, with the difference that with XRN you can also run STP on top of it for greater interop

PG

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: