cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Yet Another VRRP Question

per.nielsen
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Customer who want to implement a VRRP solution and do Load-balancing.

We will of course implement VRRP Groups to achieve this.

The issue is that the customer has several Ip addresse assign to the same interfaces

So My question is can you have several Virtual IP addresses in the vrrp Group, If not how would you solve this issue

I guess we would have to create a seperate VLANS for each address and then create multiple VRRP Groups ??

per

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Per,

VRRP works perfectly well with secondary addresses on an interface. However, all of the addresses on an interface have to belong to the same group.

A sample config is:

interface ethernet 0

ip address 10.0.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip address 10.0.2.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

!

vrrp 1 ip 10.0.1.20

vrrp 1 ip 10.0.2.20 secondary

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Per,

VRRP works perfectly well with secondary addresses on an interface. However, all of the addresses on an interface have to belong to the same group.

A sample config is:

interface ethernet 0

ip address 10.0.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip address 10.0.2.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

!

vrrp 1 ip 10.0.1.20

vrrp 1 ip 10.0.2.20 secondary

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

aashish.c
Level 4
Level 4

hi

please remember that VRRP doesn`t provide load balancing i.e. active/active or load-sharing kinda scenario as u get in MHSRP or using GLBP. It offers active/standby solution.

VRRP specifies an election protocol that dynamically assigns responsibility for a virtual router to one of the VRRP routers on a LAN. The VRRP router controlling the IP address(es) associated with a virtual router is called the Master, and forwards packets sent to these IP addresses. The election process provides dynamic fail-over in the forwarding responsibility

should the Master become unavailable. Any of the virtual router's IP addresses on a LAN can then be used as the default first hop router by end-hosts. The advantage gained from using VRRP is a higher

availability default path without requiring configuration of dynamic routing or router discovery protocols on every end-host.

regards

aashish C

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: