Views
Helpful
Replies

128K ISDN internet access with a VPN

mario_lessard
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In one side, I have a router 2651XM with a cable internet high speed at 3Mbits in download and 1Mbits in upload. This site is in Canada.

My other side, in France, I have a ISDN internet access at 128K with a router 1841.

My question is it normal that my maximum speed download is 1.5 Kb/s?

4 Replies 4

jackko
Level 7
Level 7

if you are talking about the france site, i believe it's only 128k still regardless whether canada has got a fast link.

if you are talking about the canada site, then the max should be 3mb. however it really depends on the other site that you are downloading from. they may have a 1.5mb upload link.

jackko
Level 7
Level 7

please excuse me for misunderstanding with my last post.

nonetheless, 1.5kbps is too slow.

remember the old days when i was using dialup 56k, the download speed was around 4kbps. the normal speed should be 13-15kbps with isdn 128k.

I'm so sorry, my question it's not very clear. I forgot to mention that have this download throught a VPN with 64 bits encryption in ipsec. Is it normal?

haven't try ipsec with isdn, however, 1.5 is way too slow even taking ipsec overheads into account.

just wondering with the isdn site, how's the normal traffic? such as internet browsing or email?