cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1711 Configuration Questions

gkissell
Level 1
Level 1

I am upgrading a customers site with a new 1711. A vendor requires some configuration changes and I would like some assistance before making the changes.

The changes are:

1. Open bi-directional TCP Port 1723 for PPTP

2. Bi-directional GRE (protocol 47), Source IP/mask to Internal destination IP.

3. UDP port 53 for DNS

4. Allow ICMP for testing

5. Static NAT from one outside to one inside address

6. Limit outside allowed range for static NAT from X.X.X.X to X.X.X.X

There is also another VPN application (which is currently handled/initiated from the 'inside' Windows machine.)

Keep this way or move to router? How?

And inbound traffic on port 3389.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Greg

2 Replies 2

didyap
Level 6
Level 6

Thank for the response but really no help.

The SDM is severly lacking in it's configuration power and usless for the 1711-1712 routers. (The fixed modules are not supported in SDM)

CLI is the only way to complete the configuration and examples of appropriate configurations are missing from the documentation. I have found some partial examples but nothing matching my needs.

The original configuration questions have been resolved - not easily.

Considering this is a low-end router I would have expected more step-by-step configuration examples. There are too many variables and settings to just keep hunting for something that works.

In my opinion; there should be three or four COMPLETE configuration exaples that take advantage of the features of these products. There would be more happy customers.

At the moment I have a router with many options and features and have no way to use them. Trial and error is slow and sometimes destructive.

Cisco has some of the best on-line documentation anywhere. But unless you have a mature product configuration examples are nill (in this case.)

I have some simple requirements that should be two minutes to configure, with the right documentation.

Love the product but cannot get some simple configurations to work as expected. None of the examples I have found are complete enough and I do not know what to try next.

Thanks,

Greg