Views
Helpful
Replies

2-Tier PIX Firewalling issue

zeremy
Level 1
Level 1

Quick questions,

2 PIX, each having multiple interfaces/networks.

Can 2 PIX connected directly to each other on one interface or a router is needed between the 2 PIX in order to route traffic between the networks?

What's the main difference of the routing functionality between a Cisco Router and a PIX?

I'm having a nightmare and time is running out.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

Regards,

Zeremy

6 Replies 6

bdube
Level 2
Level 2

Zeremy,

First, you don't need a router between your 2 PIX, execpt if you need some routing features or functionality.

PIX isn't a router, they passed trafic from one interface to an another based on some specified rules.

But, my comments is based on what you tell us. Because, you don't explain your needs instead, you exposed a solution (router between PIXes). We don't really know your needs or problems you try to resolve.

Ben

Thanks for the quick reply ben,

I think I'm having a routing problem but I'm not too sure.

Traffic from 1 Network on the inside interface of pix1 seems unable to reach another network which resides on another interface on pix2.

Both pix comes with 6 interfaces/different networks.

Any other information required in order to solve it, let me know, thanks for the generous help.

Regards,

Zeremy

Hi Zeremy,

You have to add static route statements in the PIX's for each subnet .

i.e. In PIX1 add static route for each subnet (or supernet) in PIX2 to exit from the outside interface of pix1(i assume outside of pix1 is connected to pix2) and similarly in pix2 add static route for all the subnets in pix1 to exit from outside of pix2.

Hope that helps.

Daipayan

Thanks,

I'll try it out.

I heard that PIX is not a layer 3 router, and it can't route traffic in and out from the same interface,

Do you think that applies here?

Just a thought.

Zeremy

From what I see, you need to tell the PIX which IP addresses/ranges to send to the other PIX. You need to tell it discretely what to send to the other PIX.

The PIX is not a Layer 3 or routing device at all. If you've ever worked with any midrange or mainframe systems, you might be aware that they can be set to direct outbound traffic to specific gateways. Many of the newer systems can even listen to routing protocols to learn which gateways to use to reach subnets more efficiently. You wouldn't call that routing, as it is just a more intelligent gateway selection.

Look at the PIX as having that same capability of those systems. It's able to choose different gateways for different destinations. That's not routing at all.

bdube
Level 2
Level 2

Zeremy,

Send me your email address at benoit.dube@cgi.ca. Write your address in core of the message, because i'm forward emails to my customer's mailbox and the forwarding appl (Outlook Expresss) doesn't transpose the sender address when forwarding. Then, i don't have your email address at my customer site right now, only at home.

Thanks

Benoit

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card