cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3DES Software on PIX is NO CHARGE NOW?

ggozzi
Level 1
Level 1

In the configuration tool (CCO) I have seen that pix 3DES option now is no charge (0 cost).

At this time in an existing installation with DES is possible upgrade to 3DES

without charge?

Thanks and regards

13 Replies 13

devam
Level 1
Level 1

3DES keys are available as part of a feature license upgrade. They are not free.

Thank you.

Murthy

very interesting.. after reading this post, i tried configuring almost all the PIX models and they all show 3DES license at $0.00..

I guess, spread the good word!!

Best regards / Sampath.

Hi,

Yes, 3DES is free of charge indeed. It was decided recently. Thanks,

Mynul

Wonderfull!!

what's the procedure to order the free upgrade in cco?

Thanks a lot

hmmm...

When I fill out the form I get the following error returned to me?

ERROR: Error: null

All of the Fields are filled in... I tried to submit it several times....

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott<-

Hi Scott,

I hope you are logged in already with a valid CCO account. I tried this and it works.

Maybe you need to log back in and try. If you get the error consistently, you might have to contact support at 800 553 2447.

thanks,

yatin

Hi,

From what I can tell, when you buy a new pix the 3DES license it is free. However, when you want to do a license upgrade on an existing pix, there is a cost of List $35.00.

This is a sample output from the price list:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PIX-501-VPN-3DES PIX 501 168-bit 3DES VPN feature license USD 0.00

PIX-501-VPN-3DES= PIX 501 168-bit 3DES VPN feature license USD 35.00

PIX-506-SW-3DES PIX 506/506E 168-bit 3DES VPN feature license USD 0.00

PIX-506-SW-3DES= PIX 506/506E 168-bit 3DES VPN feature license USD 35.00

PIX-515-VPN-3DES PIX 515/515E 168-bit 3DES VPN feature license USD 0.00

PIX-515-VPN-3DES= PIX 515/515E 168-bit 3DES VPN feature license USD 35.00

PIX-VPN-3DES 168-bit 3DES VPN feature license for PIX Firewall USD 0.00

PIX-VPN-3DES= 168-bit 3DES VPN feature license for PIX Firewall USD 35.00

PIX-VPN-DES 56-bit DES VPN feature license for PIX Firewall USD 0.00

PIX-VPN-NONE No VPN feature license for PIX Firewall USD 0.00

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C-ya

Mike

The license is free for those who do have an existing Pix.

At first, the $35 charge per pix was the only available method to order the license. However, this does not scale well, so a web page (mentioned above) was added to help streamline the process.

Here's a quote from an announcement that I received:

"http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/FormManager/formgenerator.pl

To obtain a 3DES/AES license upgrade, the customer simply registers their PIX unit serial number on the CCO page above and the 3DES/AES license key is generated. The new process eliminates the step of ordering the 3DES/AES license spare at the cost of $35 and requiring the product authorization key to obtain the 3DES/AES license. The following part numbers are no longer needed to obtain the 3DES/AES Spares license: PIX-501-VPN-3DES=, PIX-506-SW-3DES=, PIX-515-VPN-3DES=, PIX-VPN-3DES=. These part numbers will be removed from the price list at a later date.

Activation of the 3DES feature requires PIX software version 5.0 or greater. AES is available to PIX customers running 6.3.

Important: The new process to obtain a Cisco PIX 3DES/AES License Spare does not affect the orderability of 3DES/AES as an option for a Cisco PIX Security Appliance at time of chassis purchase. This option is still available."

That is great. I'll be spreading the word.

C-ya,

Mike

I continue to get this. Cisco is allegedly working on the problem, but I remain skeptical, given that it's been going on for two months now. I only ever managed to get one PIX registered that way. Every subsequent one has failed.

Hi,

Just did it last night and it worked. Took about 5 minutes to fill out the page and an email came w/ the key after about 10 minutes.

Good luck.

Mike

chris.dees
Level 1
Level 1

For those of you who need to do this on an old PIX for some reason, the free 3DES license generator can be found here as of July 2012. It is sort of buried on the Demo license page, who knows where it will move from here or when...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card