Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

4220 Hardware

We had five NRS-2FE boxes. One broke and was swapped out by our maintenance company with a 4220.

However, whilst the NRS boxes have two CPUs and SCSI disks, the 4220 has one PIII/600 CPU and an IDE disk.

The maintenance company has gone bust, and others report they were doing dodgy things before they went under.

Have we been riped off? I can only find hardware of 4210 and 4230 on the Cisco web site. Can anyone advise what our 4220 should contain - or point me to a URL.

Thanks,

Julian

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: 4220 Hardware

I cannot comment on wether you've been "ripped off". However, the 4220 was a legitmate version of the Netranger and is (I believe) newer than the NRS boxes. The CPU configurations were dual P2-400 and single P3-600. We did switch to IDE drives when Ultra-DMA became available...the performance is comparable with lower costs. The current generation are the 4210 for up to 45Mbs (1RU, P3-Celeron 566) and the 4230 (original 4RU, dual P3-600). One of the limitations of the NRS boxes is total memory. They originally had 64-128MB and you need 512MB for the latest software releases.

Depending on your speeds and feeds, you may be alright. However, you should check your software revisions...this may be where you are in trouble. The latest mainline rev. is the 3.0 release. The 2.2.1.x train stops at 2.2.1.8 and is in bug fix only state (i.e. no signature updates). There is a 2.5 release train that will soon be moved to bug-fix only status as well. I am concerned with whether or not your hardware will support the 3.0 release train. Certainly it(3.0) will run, but I'm not sure what performance you would get. If you care to send your hardware configurations offline (scothrel@cisco.com), I'll get with the QA folks and let you know where you stand.

Scott Cothrell

Senior Software Engineer

scothrel@cisco.com

Cisco Employee

Further info. A quick check of internal docs shows the following part No. changeovers as the NRS line was phased out. For what its worth...

NRS-2E-DM Cisco Secure IDS Ethernet Sensor IDS-4220-E

NRS-TR-DM Cisco Secure IDS Token Ring Sensor IDS-4220-TR

NRS-2FE-DM Cisco Secure IDS Fast Ethernet Sensor IDS-4230-FE

NRS-SFDDI-DM Cisco Secure IDS SAS FDDI Sensor IDS-4230-SFDDI

NRS-DFDDI-DM Cisco Secure IDS DAS FDDI Sensor IDS-4230-DFDDI

Cisco Employee

Just to clarify - all 4220 Sensors were single CPU units and had 64 MB RAM. They equate to the NRS-2E models. Cisco does offer a memory upgrade kit that will allow you to increase the amount of RAM.

Views
Helpful
Replies