cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5 Sites, interconnect via VPN over ADSL, VoIP. 827?

bchappell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Any advice anyone can give on this would be appreciated. Essentially there are 5 sites geographically distributed. All can have access to the Internet via an ADSL line.

There isn't a central site as such, the largest site is just 20 people. Ideally all sites would be interconnected to the others via VPNs over the Internet. That's the first issue, is the 827 suitable for this application and what additional software is required?

Additionally, if we moved to the 827-4V in order to add VoIP functionality what are the considerations? Is it possible to bounce an incoming call on a telephone switch either by treating the analogue port as a remote extension, or by using the voice connection as a analogue trunk between switches?

Any further info required, just ask I'll tell all I can. It's a very embryonic project at the moment so completely flexible.

Many thanks in advance.

Brian

3 Replies 3

ali-franks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've not played with the 4v but seem to recall that the 827 supports only 4 VPN's. You need to condsider using 1700's with WIC1-ADSL.

I can't think where that info came from but maybe someone can shed some light on that?

Ali

Thanks for the response. We might just squeeze in there. After all if there are five sites then there will only be four VPNs, one to each of the other sites. Have you encountered any issues or difficulties in dealing with ADSL VPNs? Anything that I might overlook as a LAN focused individual?

Cheers,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Actually, one thing (although I dare say that you've got it in hand) is that the 827 requires a memory upgrade in order to run the IPSec IOS. We just add an 8Mb DIMM to ours and it works fine.In config terms, no not really, only typos when configuring the ACL for the crypto map match address!!

Regarding the amount of VPN's I was thinking in terms of future expansion. Sods law says that you get it all running perfectly and all of a sudden:

"Can we have another one please?"

Been there before!

HTH

Ali