cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 IDS Blade Web Interface

rm2017
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if the IDS Blade for the 6500 running 3.0(5) supports the web interface?

5 Replies 5

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The web Interface directly on the sensor is referred to as IDM (Intrusion Detection Device Manager).

It is currently only supported on the sensor appliances.

It is included at no extra cost on the sensor appliances.

However, there is also a web based configuration tool that can be installed on a windows 2000 box that can be used to configure multiple sensors.

This tool is the Management Center for IDS (IDS MC), and the Monitoring Center for Security (Sec Mon) and are part of the VMS 2.1 bundle.

IDS MC, and Sec Mon work with both the appliances and modules.

VMS 2.1 is a separate purchase (upgrade pricing available for some users of CSPM and Unix Director).

ttorgerson
Level 1
Level 1

I am not aware of one. At the present time, you can use telnet and ssh to connect to the box. I believe you can use the IDS Event Viewer to view events, but that utility is about as worthless as it comes. I think that is an attempt at managing security events, but at a very shallow level. The only thing I know of is to use .. oh no.. not that... yep... CSPM... which is by far one of the poorest application I have ever ran across. Also, I am not aware of any way to manually edit the packetd.conf file with the IDSM. This is poor poor design. Until they come up with some solution that works, I think we are stuck with CSPM... or we could just scrap this mess and use snort!

CSPM is being replaced with 2 new tools included in VMS2.1 released earlier this year.

The configuration and alarm viewing are now web based.

The configuration portion is in the Management Center for IDS (IDSMC), and the viewing portion is in Monitoring Center for Security (SecMon).

SecMon and IDSMC are in the VMS2.1 bundle of products.

Both IDSMC and SecMon are installed with a web server on a Windows 2000 machine. The latest versions of Netscape and Internet Explorer on most windows and unix platforms can be used to browse to either IDSMC or SecMon for security management.

Are there any links for the VMS2.1 documentation regarding the IDSMC and SecMon components?

thx

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: