cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 ids module can't communicate with network device

zoushan
Level 1
Level 1

I have one ids module installed in the 6509. I used the setup command to set the sensor's ip add :192.168.1.2 default gateway 192.168.1.1 . Then I set interface vlan 20 in msfc2, But the vlan 20 is down . I can't ping 192.168.1.2,

What is the problem?

3 Replies 3

jlimbo
Level 1
Level 1

Can you confirm that your IDSM blade is supported on the version you are running, maybe your interfaces are not recognized. The show mod should show the sub = no and status = ok. If this is all ok then make sure you put the right interfaces into the correct vlan. By default port 2 should be command and control port and should be assigned to the correct vlan.

Sorry to butt-in, I've got the same problem I believe. Just so I understand exactly:

I have a Vlan 240 which is where the IDS is to exist. From the 6500 I type SH Mod and see the module 4 (My IDS) port 1 is trunked, port 2 is on vlan1. Port 2 should be changed to Vlan 240 to have it configured correctly. Correct ?

Correct,

The Control Port of the IDSM needs to be set on the vlan for the network to which it's IP Address has been assigned.

In your case: set vlan 240 4/2

NOTE: The vlan for the command and control does not have to be and is usually not the same as the vlan that is being monitored by port 1.

Port 1 by default trunks all vlans in the switch, but you may want to consider removing vlans from the trunk port that you will not be monitoring.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: