Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

8FE+VAC-Plus is Possible on PIX525? :-(

I am trying to do that but I think I have to sacrify either 1FE or VAC+. As per my understanding PIX525 has 2 onboard FE and 3 PCI Slots.

I could do below 2 combinations successfully

Option1:8FE in total but no VAC-Plus

4FE in slot 0

1FE in slot 1

and

1FE in slot 2

Option2:7FE+VAC-Plus

4FE in slot 0

1FE in slot 1

and

VAC+ in slot2

However I could not configure PIX with 8FE+VAC-Plus ......Anyway to do that?

I tried doing 4FE+4FE+VAC-Plus but not a valid confiugration in config tool as total number of Physical FE interfaces becomes 10.

Thanx

3 REPLIES

Re: 8FE+VAC-Plus is Possible on PIX525? :-(

Hi,

A Good one.

The restriction of interfaces is based on software. What I have seen is that Pix will not recognise the interfaces beyond the software limits of the model. For ex. PIX 525 can detect 8 interfaces. But the additional interfaces may be in disabled mode. With Restricted licenses, even if additional cards are installed, it will show only the interfaces within the software limit. But you upgrade to unrestricted and it detects the additonal interfaces. But what I believe is that you may be able to install 2 4-port cards and it may detect only 8 interfaces and rest will be lying dormant until there is a new software version which may be able to support additional interfaces. This is purely my thinking, do try it with caution.

This link provides the circuit board options possible with PIX 525, which does not cater for your option.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008007f672.html#xtocid1

Hi,

This has come up in the past and I can confirm that what the previous poster answered is indeed true. The bottom two interfaces on the 4FE in the right most slot will be disabled. But you can install 2 4FE cards and a VAC+ in a 525 to achieve the 8 interface maximum. I know this is not ideal but future versions of PIX code may increase the max interface limit and you will then be able to leverage the additional two interfaces on the second 4FE. Good luck!

Scott

Hi guys,

Thanks for the informaiton. However on CCO, it says 2X4FE+VAC is not a valid combination for PIX-525-UR, may be Cisco needs to update this as practically it is possible.

The problem is when it comes to support, we may face problems with TAC. Does Cisco TAC supports this confiuration?

Thanks alot.

Subba

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content