cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

aaa newmodel

cmehlo
Level 1
Level 1

I effected an aaa new-model on my remote cisco router.I cant login its asking for username which i didnt put.Is there a default username that i should use to access this router .please help.

8 Replies 8

seaggu-kim
Level 1
Level 1

i will givey some informatios of my configuration about the router

refer to these contents

have good loucky !!

===contents of my router==conf t

aaa new-model

aaa authen login default tacacs+ local

aaa authen login conmethod local

aaa authen login vtymethod tacacs+ local

username tkdlqj pass 0 rkfaorl3

aaa account exec start-stop tacacs+

aaa account commands 1 start-stop tacacs+

aaa account commands 15 start-stop tacacs+

aaa account connection start-stop tacacs+

aaa account system start-stop tacacs+

tacacs-server key key_number

sumeerbhat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

you can use password recovery procedure of your router (using confreg ) which will remove your running-config but not startup-config(nvram) . then copy running-config to starup-config and provide username and password before exit .

For more information , mail me at sumeer_bhat@usa.net

BYE

In both textbooks I have checked recovering a password requires changing confreg bit 6 to on by changing 0x2102 to 0x2142. But the 4 would turn on bit 7. I'm an instructor and I need to explain this to my students. Help!

You're not doing the Hex conversion properly. The second digit from the right contains bits 8,7,6,5. Setting bit 6 (0010) = 4. Hope that helps. See

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/distrdir/dd2501/maint.htm#xtocid1209619

for more detail.

Ggg

Hi,

Actually the binary form of the register value (0x2102) is

0010 0001 0000 0010

and for (0x2142) :

0010 0001 0100 0010

Hence starting from far-right, you have turn bit 6

ON , not bit 7.

Anyway for more details , you can mail me at

sumeer_bhat@yahoo.com

Actually the bit counting starts from far right and strats from 0 to 15 and so its 6th bit.

vachon
Level 1
Level 1

Can you provide more information ? Are you using a TACACS+ server ? Do you have an access-list which is preventing the authentication from working correctly ? Is there someone at the site who can console in and remove the aaa statement ?

aosaw
Level 1
Level 1

If you apply the aaa new-model command by accident and you are asked for a password, first see if the configuration change has been made to NVRAM if not just power down and the configuration will be wiped. If it has been saved you will have to do the recovery procedure.