Views
Helpful
Replies

About PIX501 Licence

engel
Level 2
Level 2

Dear All,

A PIX 501 comes with a 5 , 10, 50 licence. Does anyone know how PIX make a decision to limit the session ? For example if you have 5 licence, what is PIX refer to that it should block the 6th session ?

Appreciate for any reply.

Best Regards,

Engel

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

The PIX checks against some table of available resources, according to the enabled features of the unit. An "Active Session" would be easy to track, since the PIX (501) is doing the Proxy / NAT for every session.

The features are changed by adding a "key" code. Until PIX IOS version 6.something the key could only be added from the ROM Monitor (and then, only after a new code load).

Now (as of 6.2, I think) the keys can be added from the PIX IOS command line.

The same kind of system is used to add encryption enhancements (DES, 3DES).

FWIW

Scott

Thanks, appreciate for your insight.

If it checks against some table, then I am wondering if it uses the "xlate" table. Or does the PIX have some special table other than the "xlate" table just for checking that how many users it already served for ? Anyone know the detail ?

Really appreciate for any insight

Best Regards,

Engel

I tried to figure this out, myself. I also asked the reseller, but he couldn't get an answer for me, too.

I tested and now know:

it's not the number of xlate's

it's not the number of MAC entries

it's not the number of sessions

Regards,

Marcel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card