Views
Helpful
Replies

Access-Lists on Router v/s FW IOS

cpalayoor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I am evaluating a cost effective solution for a firewall to a DMZ with no access to the internal network.

We have a couple of 2600 routers with 16 MB of RAM and flash respectively.

Now I can either use these routers (in an HSRP with load balancing configuration) and purchase the FW-IOS with more memory or install an Open BSD box and set it up as a firewall.

Personally I am all for the FW-IOS option.

However considering the high resource requirements of the IOS firewall and the inherent limitations of the IOS firewall vis a vis a regular application firewall, would I be better off just simply putting in access-lists and forget about investing in the FW-IOS.

In short is an IOS firewall worth the investment.

Regards

CP

2 Replies 2

tohuang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi CP,

Without IOS FW enable, the rules for access list will be deny some traffic and permit ip any any at the end of list.

With IOS FW enable, it will be totally different, you will permit specific traffic that you want to allow and have deny ip any any at the end of the list.

As you can see, with IOS firewall enable, you can secure your network before someone attack your network. Not like regular ACL, you block the traffic after you found out the source which attacked your network.

Therefore, IOS firewall is totally worth the investment.

Thanks

Tony

!?!?!?!

Tony,

the question was about firewall that secures access from the outside to the dmz _with_ _no_ _access_ _to_ _the_ _inside_. So, the ACL would be "permit http, deny any" or like that anyway.

Actually, when protecting www (or other server), in addition to regular ACLs IOS firewall can:

- struggle SYN flood attacks (very poorly implemented and enterprise IOS also has this functionality);

- do inline IDS (very limited even in 12.2(15)T)

- restrict SMTP command set;

- allow passive ftp from the outside to the inside (yes, this is useful);

- that's it.

Oleg Tipisov,

REDCENTER,

Moscow

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: