Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

Accessing PIX via PDM over IPSec with VPN Client Ver 4.0

I have the following problem: Since I installed VPN Client 4.0 I can not anymore access PIX via PDM over IPSec with VPN Client.

I have not changed the PIX configuration, but what I see in the new VPN client is that now route to PIX itself does not appear to be secured. In the previous version, I had a route to PIX outside interface in the list of secured routes.

Can anyone clarify this behavior?

Sascha

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Accessing PIX via PDM over IPSec with VPN Client Ver 4.0

Hi Sascha,

If you are using the Windows XP to do this, kindly try using another operating system to connect if this is still the case. We have seen some problems with the Windows XP and the Client 4.0 with routing certain traffic.

If thats the case, kindly open a case with TAC for further troubleshooting.

Regards,

Aamir Waheed,

Cisco Systems, Inc.

CCIE#8933

-=-=-

Re: Accessing PIX via PDM over IPSec with VPN Client Ver 4.0

This is the response from Cisco engineer regarding this case:

According to some engineers who have worked on similar case, VPN client 4.0 won't work with PIX 6.2 code or earlier. The reason being that we have removed the IPSec SA between VPN client (assigned address) and PIX outside/public address. Therefore, since there is no SA, we cannot access the outside interface any more.

In order to manage the PIX using inside interface, we need 2 things:

1. Upgrade PIX firewall to 6.3 code

2. Upgrade PDM to 3.0 code

3. Issue the following commands in your PIX configuration:

a) http x.x.x.x x.x.x.x inside

b) pdm location x.x.x.x x.x.x.x inside

c) management-access inside

4. And after connecting to PIX firewall from your VPN client, do an https://

Sasa Vidanovic

Views
Helpful
Replies