cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS Remote Agent - DC vs Member Server

Perdue Farms
Level 1
Level 1

We are about to install two ACS appliances to integrate with ADS, and are trying to figure out where we want to install the remote agents. We were considering our network management servers and the domain controllers.

Does anyone have input (positive / negative) about having the remote agent installed on the domain controller? What is your recommendation?

Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

darpotter
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

Generally you are less likely to run into problems if installed on a DC. Whilst (in theory) a member server can be ok.,, the TAC cases all the time regarding member servers!

Darran

willskei
Level 1
Level 1

I would recommend member servers. ( Let a DC be a DC and a Auth Agent be an Auth Agent ) In the event something goes wrong you can easily isolate the problem. Make sure you read the documentation closely if you are going to use members.

premdeep.banga
Level 1
Level 1

In my opinion, if you go for installing RA on Member server, do follow these steps, If you dont want your self landing in no mans land position :

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_soft/csacsapp/csapp33/ra/rawi.htm#wp289426

Also if you are authenticating across domains, a full two way trust must exist between the domains, the user(CISCO workstation) must be created and given the access above in each domain to be queried, and each domain's FQDN must be listed as a DNS suffix in the IP properties of the server on which RA is installed (restart netlogon service after adding the FQDN).

I guess this should take care of everything.

Cheers!