cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a 2nd sensor

robert.mcclain
Level 1
Level 1

My 2nd sensor is v2.2.1, do I need to upgrade to 2.5, then 3.0 or can I go directly to 3.0? Is there any documentation out there on this? Finally, do both sensors communicate (to the director)on the same port # or do I select one.If so, does anyone have a recommendation as to what port should the second sensor communicate on.

3 Replies 3

wardwalk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

All sensor(s)/director communication is on the same port number. The default is 45000.

If you have only the 2.5 CD, you can use it to upgrade to 2.5, then download the 3.0 version from CCO and install it. Here are instructions for upgrading from 2.5 to 3.0:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/csids/csids6/12216_02.htm#xtocid1115838

If you have the 3.0 CD, then you can use it to upgrade to 3.0 directly.

Also, once you're at 3.0, you can upgrade to 3.0(3) by downloading the 3.0(3) service pack from CCO and installing it.

Used the 3.0 Cd and installed 2nd sensor, now both sensors don't work. The initial sensor quit sending alarms and when I try to look at current events nothing happens. Then I get route down on the postofficed deamon. Rebooted director, sensor1, then 2 then both then all. Still no communications between director and 1st sensor. BUT, I can ping the Ethernet port on the sensor from the director. You sure about connecting to the same port from both sensors?

Hi Robert, sorry your setup is having trouble. Yes, I'm sure that you use the same port. All postoffice communication takes place via a single UDP port.

Make sure the following two files for each machine (sensors and unix director) reflect the port you're using. Do an nrstop and nrstart after any changes.

/usr/nr/etc/postofficed.conf:

Should have a token named PortNumberOfNetCommunications 45000

(replace 45000 with whatever port number you're using)

/usr/nr/etc/routes:

Make sure the port number is the same for each line.

Hope that helps. Let me know if not. wardwalk@cisco.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: