cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ADSL Access to VPN

tonyw
Level 1
Level 1

I have been provided with an ADSL connection to the internet. My company has had a Cisco 3600 router installed with a Radius router connected to the internet. I have just an ADSL modem and a win2k PC at home. To access the the VPN I have been told to dial 35 on a RAS connection and that somehow connects me to the network however this does not work. I am sure I need some sort of VPN software but my supplier says I do not. Any ideas ?.

3 Replies 3

b.willett
Level 1
Level 1

You don't need any software if your company has paid a service provider/ISP or whoever you are dialinto to create a VPN from the access server you are dialing into across the internet to your 3600. However if this isn't something that has been provided or configured at your end and the service provider then you need a client initiated VPN, i.e. software client on your PC or router that creates a VPN session directly to the VPN termination point, i.e. your 3640.

Because you are using a 3600 running Cisco IOS you can only use the Cisco Secure VPN client 1.1 to create the VPN to the router, later in the year you will be able to use the VPN client 3.0 that is free to download from Cisco and ships with the VPN concentrator series at present.

You may be able to use your WIN2000 IPSec client to connect to the router but I can't remember if this works or not.

Thnkyou for that. So what about the security of the local link between the Client PC and the ISP. I appreciate its only 2 wires but is this not a hole in the security on the lacal access loop ?.

wujialin
Level 1
Level 1

establish a pptp tunnel between pc and router. Do not use any system, just use win2k professional system.

I have done a case like you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: