Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

alias command on PIX

I set up a PIX 501 as my firewall. I have an internal (public) host on the inside of the network. I have used the "alias" command to translate DNS requests ie;

alias (inside) 192.168.1.10 [public_ip] 255.255.255.255

When I ping the FQDN, ping returns the correct internal IP and says it's alive, but I still can't reach it [via FQDN] in my browser. I still have to have configured the HOSTS file on my PC to access the server via domain name.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: alias command on PIX

Hi,

I am sure your DNS server is outside that is why you are getting internal IP address. If ping or nslookup returns the private address and not the browser then it may be a browser issue. Have you tried clearing up the cache files.

Thanks

Nadeem

2 REPLIES
Silver

Hi,

I am sure your DNS server is outside that is why you are getting internal IP address. If ping or nslookup returns the private address and not the browser then it may be a browser issue. Have you tried clearing up the cache files.

Thanks

Nadeem

Yes, my DNS server is outside. I problably should have mentioned that.

I cleared the browser cache and other temporary files and rebooted, and now it works correctly, but only intermittently. 3 out of 5 times it works. Why would it work some times and not others?

BTW, I've been able to reproduce this problem on another system.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content