Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Alternative ways to delete the CSPM alarm database.

Other than using the "cvtnrlog -d" utility is there another way to empty the CSPM server alarm database. Using this method can take several hours to complete the erasure which is inefficient, and can lead to the loss of important alarm data.

Is there a faster utility or possibly a way to reset the database to all empty tables. Maybe I could delete a few database files that will be recreated by default the next time the database is accessed.

Please let me know.

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Alternative ways to delete the CSPM alarm database.

You can clear the entire database back to defaults, then simply import your network topology back in. Takes only a few minutes and is quite simple and safe (and is used to fix database problems quite regularly).

Open up CSPM and go to File - Export and save your current configuration off to a .cpm file somewhere NOT under the CSPM

directory structure. Close down CSPM. Now go to Start - Programs - Cisco Systems - CSPM - Troubleshooting Toolkit, under

the Restore Policy Database tab hit the Restore button and wait for the 4 checkboxes to check themselves off. Now open up

CSPM again and it'll come up with a blank database. Go to File - Import and import the .cpm file you just exported back in. Remove the new "Imported" user from the bottom menu on the left hand side, and do a Save/Update and off you go.

Cisco Employee

Or if you don't want to be quite that drastic, then you can simply right click on the alerts in the Event Viewer and delete them that way. This should be done on a regular basis anyway to keep your database at a reasonable size, otherwise you'll end up having to follow my last instructions to restore your database when it crashes :-)

Glenn, thank you for your feed back but I am interested in a short cut method for clearing out the CSPM alarm database, not the network topology database. I save and delete the CSPM alram database twice a week. On average the database is about 35MB when I use the "cvtnrlog -d" utility to delete it. It takes a couple of hours to clear the database. I am looking for a more efficient method.

Cisco Employee

The procedure I mentioned in my first post will also clear out the alarm database, it's just that it also clears out the topology as well (basically it restores the database back ot the original installed version, which is empty). All you have to do is then import your topology and you'll be as normal.

It is a fairly drastic step just to clear out all your alarms, but once you get the hang of it (as a lot of poeple do due to database problems :-) ) then it only takes a couple of minutes, which is much better than the two hours you're currently getting.

Thanks for the advice. I will consider using the "restore to default" method. I manage two CSPM servers and have had to use that method several times on both severs because of database issues. As I am sure you know, this is not the most stable or user friendly product on the market.

Views
Helpful
Replies