cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyone know how to force PIX interfaces into up/up on reboot on 7.0.x?

0r8it
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

question says it all really. Is there a way to set the PIX to automatically bring its ints up/up after a reboot?

This seemed easier in 6.x.x, with the 'auto' command.

TIA-

Gary

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gary,

I think you have mistaken on how the shutdown works.

Yes, in the config the no shutdown does not appear in the config but the interface is actually enabled. As long as you don't see 'shutdown' under that interface it is up and ready for use even if there is nothing plugged in. Then as soon as you plug in a cable it will come up and up.

When you write this to mem it stays that way even upon reboot and/or shutdown.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

cpembleton
Level 4
Level 4

If the interfaces are not shutdown they will come up as long as there plugged in. The auto command has nothing to do with that. That controls the negotiation for speed and duplex with what it is connected to.

chrisbicm
Level 1
Level 1

Gary,

I am only used to ASA and some router/switch IOS configuration, but wouldnt you just add the no shutdown command? Could be wrong just a suggestion.

int g0/1

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0

nameif blah

no shutdown

Hope this helps,

Chris

Thanks guys,

Chris, the ASA/PIX 7.0.x software is now incredibly similar to IOS; you can move into an interface subconfiguration menu as for IOS. (Config of the ints in 6.x.x used to consist of an all-in-one appraoch.

The problem is that the 'no shut' command is dynamic, and doesnt get saved into the config, which is the same for IOS. On reboot, my ints are shut down again.

I wonder if I'll have to do the old IOS trick of copying out the config, adding 'no shut' after every interface statement, and tftp'ing it back up?

How tedious is that!

Thanks again for your suggestions, folks-

regards

Gary

cpembleton, I've just re-read your comment. Sorry, I only glanced over the 'as long as the interfaces are plugged in' part. They will be in production, but weren't always during config, so that could be what I'm seeing as being a problem. I'll check it out-

thanks again-

Gary

Gary,

I think you have mistaken on how the shutdown works.

Yes, in the config the no shutdown does not appear in the config but the interface is actually enabled. As long as you don't see 'shutdown' under that interface it is up and ready for use even if there is nothing plugged in. Then as soon as you plug in a cable it will come up and up.

When you write this to mem it stays that way even upon reboot and/or shutdown.

Ah! Excellent. I'm worrying over nothing then.

Many thanks for your helpful response-

Gary

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card