Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Are archives kept of the forum?

I want to say that I have seen the answer to my question before but the logs only go back a few months. Are archives kept somewhere that we can still access them?

I have become unable to push out a configuration to my sensors and the packetd daemon isn't running on them. I am trying to find out what file I can look in to manually tell it to start that daemon upon start-up.

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Are archives kept of the forum?

Not sure about the archives.

File is /usr/nr/etc/daemons, all daemons listed in here should be started upon bootup (unless there's some other problem with them, then look in /usr/nr/var/errors. for further details as to why it couldn't start).

Cisco Employee

Re: Are archives kept of the forum?

Just so you know:

The nr.packetd daemon is not started by default when you configure the sensor to be managed remotely by CSPM / Unix Director / or IDS MC.

The remote management box is responsible for pushing a configuration down to the sensor that will start nr.packetd (i.e. the remote manager pushes down a daemons file with nr.packetd in it).

This is because if nr.packetd starts up with the standard configuration it may generate a lot of alarms before the management application tries to connect to it. When the management application tries to connect it gets flooded with those alarms and can have trouble pushing an initial configuration to the sensor. So to avoid these issues the sensor relies on the management station to send a config to start nr.packetd.

NOTE: If in sysconfig-sensor option 6 you configure the sensor to be managed instead by the local IDM then nr.packetd will start automatically since there is no management interface to overwhelm with alarms.

Views
Helpful
Replies