cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Are signature updates comprehensive?

bmunroe
Level 1
Level 1

If I want to upgrade my IDS-4220, which is currently running 3.0(1)S4, to the latest signatures(3.02.S11), do I need to apply the service pack (3.02.S9), and then run each signature update (3.02.S10, followed by 3.02.S11)? In other words, are signature updates comprehensive, or do they need to be applied one by one in sequence? Thanks.

4 Replies 4

klwiley
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Signature updates are comprehensive up to the point a new service pack is issued. In other words since you are running 3.0(1)S4 you do not need to add S5-S8 before applying the 3.0(2)S9 service pack, but since there has been a service pack between S4 and S11 you must first apply it before applying the S11 signature set. Does this answer your question?

KLW

I believe it does answer my question. Just to be 100% sure though...

I now understand how the service pack factors into the equation, but let's say hypothetically that five signature updates came out after a service pack (S10 - S14), and I've been a slacker and am still using S10. Can I jump straight to S14 without applying the updates in between (S11 - S13)? I'm sorry if I've beaten this to death, I just want to be certain.

Thanks again.

Yes you can jump straight to S14 in this case.

The reason that Service Packs break the completness of signature updates is that is how we deliver modifications to the signature engines themselves. So a set of signatures written for a particular service pack binary may be trying to use new engines or new parameter sets that do not exist in older service pack binaries.

csmeriglio
Level 1
Level 1

A word of caution. While it is true that you can go from S9 to S11 on the IDS, if you are running CSPM

my experience has been that you need to update CSPM to the S10 sig update before attempting to go to S11, or the S11 sensors version will not show up in the drop down list for the sensors.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: