cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ARP problem with Cisco PIX

ramesh.krishnan
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco Pix 520E . The problem with this is that whever i try to ping a local server from another local server, the hardware address is that of the PIX firewall and finally the ping doesnt work.. This is leading to many server-to-server communication issues for me. Both the servers are behind the same pix firewall. When i take the arp of these servers and see, the servers will show that the other server has the ARP of the pix firewall. Do I need to do any setting on the pix so that the local servers communicate with each other smoothly?

Thanks in advance,

Ramesh

3 Replies 3

ywadhavk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ramesh,

This command might help you.

sysopt noproxyarp if_name

sysopt noproxyarp

By default, the PIX Firewall responds to ARP requests directed at the PIX Firewall's interface IP addresses as well as to ARP requests for any static or global address defined on the PIX Firewall interface (which are proxy ARP requests).

The sysopt noproxyarp if_name command lets you disable proxy ARP request responses on a PIX Firewall interface. However, this command does not disable regular (non-proxy) ARP request responses on the PIX Firewall interface itself. Consequently, if you use the sysopt noproxyarp if_name command, the PIX Firewall no longer responds to ARP requests for the addresses in the static, global, and nat 0 commands for that interface but does respond to ARP requests for its interface IP addresses.

Thanks,

yatin

hi yatin,

thank you very much. my problem is resolved.!!!!

Regards,

Ramesh

This also worked for me thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: