cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ARP request/response collisions

rj
Level 1
Level 1

I have several servers that use Intel Nics that are either dual port cards or use the Intel Advanced Network Services Virtual Adapter, that are two nics teamed using the Intel Proset install, on Win2k servers. I receieve the following syslog messages from the PIX from nearly all IP/MAC addresses that are bound to the Intel Nics:

405001: Received ARP request (or response) collision from x.x.x.x/xxxx.xxxx.xxxx on interf

ace inside.

I have enabled spanning tree portfast on the ports without luck, although spanning tree is running globally on the switch.

Can someone help me with this dilemma?

Thanks,

RJ

2 Replies 2

lwierenga
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco's explanation: The firewall received an ARP packet, and the MAC address in the packet differs from the ARP cache entry. I have seen this twice in the past were the arp entry divice in line with the PIX (normally a router)has a corrupted arp cache, try clearing the arp cache. The other thing I've seen is a misconfiguration with SPAN between two VLANs causing, and the VLAN's were connected to two different interfaces on the PIX.

Thanks for the post. The problem I believe is from the virtual MAC address that the Intel teaming software creates. Two adapters share the same MAC and IP. The virtual MAC is actually the real MAC of one of the adapters. I was just wanting to know a work around as all Intel teaming software has the ability to produce these syslog messages.

Thanks,

RJ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: